You are your own company

So, if one fine day, it is just you. 
How incredible would it be !
Well, depends on the situation, right ?

Have you ever tried doing it solo?

No one is there to accompany you in your larger-than-life quests to wander the world. And sometimes, also solo in random tasks.

"I have been there." That will be a composed Davis's answer.

"I cannot imagine that ! I need someone to accompany me." That will be a surprised Nat talking.

We are born alone, except for twins, of course. But, most of us are born alone. and after we are born, we start getting those adorable people around us,all our life. Or at-the-least till we are in the Twenties. 

So, why is there a feeling of being alone sometimes so terrifying?

It is great to have company. It is absolutely needed for a good well being. But sometimes, we need to be just a lonely wolf. That too, is as important as being with friends. 

So lets us go about being the Solo Traveller.

This year, I made a solo trip to Kolkata. The previous year, I went in a group to Meghalaya, Arunachal Pradesh & Ranchi with friends. And the years before that, I had company in most of my travels. 

I have done some short solo trips to nearby towns and cities. Like when I was in Gandhinagar, Gujarat; I went to its adjacent city of Ahmedabad sometimes to explore the vast city, all alone during my teenage years. I still remember purchasing a big foldable map of Ahmedabad city, way back in 2008-2009. We did not know about Google Maps, and also that smartphones were not normal in those years. Rich kids had them, so obviously a very few smartphones existed. Rest us had to do with our beloved Nokias. Internet was way too expensive.

The idea to search Goggle Maps in the computer never before occurred while visiting a place. All information we got was word-of-mouth.

So I used to hire an auto-rickshaw, sit on the edge of the the vehicle, backpack on my back; and  bend my neck with watchful eyes on the road while holding the map of Ahmedabad in my left hand. Once I reached a blue marked destination, I dropped down and started walking through the nearby lanes. Eyes moved form the buildings and gardens to the Map and then back to the places to confirm their location. I even interacted with passersby, pointing at my map, asking them about the exact bookshop, or the exact garment shop,
The most difficult to navigate was the old walled-city of  Ahmedabad. The map tried to help me as much as it could, but some lanes or Pols (housing cluster) are so inside, narrow and confusing that I got really lost. I moved in circles till I found a way out. But, that was a grand adventure. The old Ahmedabad has all in it about its rich history. There is even a Heritage walk of Ahmedabad, if you register for it. 

Of this Solo travel, the best part was that I had complete say on where I would go, how much long I would stay in one particular place.  Also I could eat whenever i wanted to or could buy things wherever I wshed, with no ones opinions to heed to.

There is a different kind of satisfaction in that. Sometimes, I ask my friends, about how they feel of a solo travel. Everyone has a different reaction.

Imogen says, "Yeah, it is a great idea, you know ! I mean, you are alone and can take the decision all by yourself. You have got no one to listen to. Just only you ."

Robert says, "Oh Come on ! Solo travel. Dude, where is the fun in there. No friends to be with. All alone, the whole journey. But, maybe, I don't know man, maybe I will give it a try."

But whom so ever you ask, you will get a feel that deep in their hearts they want to to do a solo at least once in their lifetime. But most will not actually do it. 
I went to Kolkata this time. Kolkata is huge and it is expanding and expanding. I stayed at a place in Rajarhat. Looking at the wide roads and tall buildings, my mouth was constantly gaping. Everywhere there were buildings, huge and variety of architectures with gardens and flyovers and roads leading every nook and corner. This was not the Kolkata I remember seeing in my childhood. That era was entirely different. 

I booked a cab and started my journey to the old Kolkata of Victoria Memorial and Hogg Street. On the way I passed thought the the grand townships of Rajarhat and Salt Lake City. It felt like inside of some maximum city, where the lights will never go off. Just buildings everywhere.

At one cross road, I saw this dome shape frame structure, titled Biswa Bangla Gate and some more designs installed on the road dividers. Also, some underground gate indicated subways below. Tall trees lined the streets of Salt Lake City. There were multi-storied flyovers everywhere. 

Finally upon reaching old Kolkata, my first stop was Victoria Memorial. I took my own time to navigate the huge campus and take many pictures of the grand architecture. I took pictures of the monument from multiple angles, as much as I wanted to take. 

Had I been in a group, I would have one or two pictures of the monument itself, and more photos of cover photos and profile photos with the monument at the background.  Just say, there are ten friends travelling, so there will be some ten-twenty group photos. The there will be individual photos for each of the ten people. Each person asking the photographer to take multiple individual photos until the person is satisfied with his or her best profile photo. The monument will become just a piece to show off in the background. The real emphasis will be given on the persons at the foreground.

That is exactly what is happening now. We go to a tourist spot, not to find peace and enchant ourselves with the mesmerising beauty of the place; but to actually click some good looking photos of ourselves to upload in social media. I once saw a group on the banks of Brahmaputra river in Dibrugarh reaching the spot. They started taking selfies and profile pics and then just went away from the spot. They did not actual enjoy the cold breeze blowing at the spot even for a minute. It is like the place was just some background photo need to get a cool pic.
Earlier, people who were unable to go there, took satisfaction in clicking photos with a pasted wallpaper of a beautiful city inside a photo studio. Even we did that in our childhood when there was no social media.

But this present case is entirely different. People don't enjoy the places they visit. There is no memories of roaming the grasslands or the climbing up the steep hills. It is just the memories of getting a grand profile photo and cover photo.

Believe me, I somehow managed to click a selfie on my DSLR with Kolkata in the background. Remaining all photos were of the city. I enjoyed my time admiring every piece of art and showcases inside the memorial. I took my own time.

There was no pressure from some person to leave the place earlier. I also went to St. Paul's Cathedral. I even sat inside the Church just admiring the beauty of the architecture and felt like being near God. A peace prevailed over me. There was no hurry inside.  Pure peace and tranquillity.

I roamed at my own pace on the lanes of Hogg street, Sudder street, Esplanade, Park Street and the likes. You will be surprised to see how busy these places are. Thousands of people thronging the markets inside the streets of old colonial era buildings. From street vendors selling souvenirs to multinational food chain restaurant offering fast food to luxury hotels and fabulous restaurants, to second hand book shops and music gallery; everything is jammed in this neighbourhood.

People from all walks of life commute here.

I witnessed this city-of-joy walking the streets, hiring yellow cabs and auto-rickshaws and this time instead of actual hard copy of map, I used Google Maps on my smartphones ! A change of time in these 10 years form exploring Ahmedabad to exploring Kolkata.

I took the full day just to roam a few places. I was in no hurry to cover everything of Kolkata in one or two days. There was no pressure to stay at one place for one hour and the run to another, stay there for the next hour and so on. I stayed at one place as much as I desired to and this happened because I was a solo traveller.
So you see, it is great and absolutely necessary to travel with friends and family. But once in a blue moon, you need to get out Solo. There is a different magical feeling about it. Just go out to a place, small or big, famous or not famous, just go for it.

Alone, and in the course of time you will be talking to strangers in that place asking their guidance to explore the hidden sights. In the meantime, you might stumble upon someone who may become your newest friend or maybe even find your soulmate.

So sometimes.....
Feel the vibe of being a Solo Traveller. 
Embrace being Solo.
Be your own company !

Photo Courtesy: Pexels

Comments

  1. Truly said!
    Solo traveling is the most liberating and life changing experience. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes man. It is self introspection at its best !

      Delete
  2. Very interesting blog.. Solo travelling has its own charm. You are the master of your journey. At the end of the day, brave is the one who can embrace solitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words are truly amazing ! Thank you for the beautiful feedback :D

      Delete

Post a Comment